Types of Group Discussions
There are roughly four types of group discussion topics:
- Factual speech topics
- Controversial and argumentative issues
- Abstract discussion material
- Case studies
Factual topics for a group are – as the word says – about facts. This is a sample list of speech topics on current issues and facts:
- Conspiracy is a very common form of political behaviour.
- The pros and cons of having a credit card.
- A chain gang is a modern form of slavery.
- Why drinking and driving is dangerous to yourself and others.
- Passive smoking is equally harmful.
- The economic boycott causes most of the problems in Cuba.
- International trade barriers work.
- City curfews help to prevent juvenile crime and to protect youth from victimization.
- The U.N. is mainly based on diplomacy and enhancing relationships.
- Affirmative action draws people to work they never considered before.
A controversial group discussion topic is a speech topic that has many controversies, pros and cons. Keep in mind that all current group discussion topics are not my opinion, but just a sample list of speech topics!
- Sustainable urban living without the use of excessive natural resources must be our future.
- Are there extraterrestrials who influence events on Earth?
- Marijuana has a medical value.
- Direct mail is a special form of junk mail.
- The pros and cons of a female President.
- Online dating chats have nothing to do with a search for a soul mate.
- Should schools distribute condoms?
- Most people support embryonic stem cell research.
- Life imprisonment is a good alternative to capital punishment.
- What is wrong with child labor?
Abstract group discussion topics are things that cannot be touched, not be easily defined or formulated. Just think in a creative manner and start a vivid group discussion with one of these abstract topics to talk about:
- The Nostradamus Code
- Breast Implants
- Bribery in Business
- Computer Viruses
- Hidden Persuaders
- Moral Majority
- The Hippocratic Oath
- Political Correctness
The fourth type of group discussion topics are so-called case studies. You determine a problem and together with the other group members you have to find a satisfying solution. These are small group discussion topic ideas. Just modify and alter where necessary, these are just guiding light topic ideas:
- Leadership – What necessary changes are needed in your community organization and how do you want to lead the process?
- Malpractice Insurance – Doctors walk out on the job to protest the rising malpractice insurance costs. What to do about it?
- Work Ethics – Can we shape workers who have the sense that they serve the company ánd community?
- School Violence – What are the real causes of violence and bullying in Schools?
- Recycling – Sort out how to make money with recycling.
- Dropouts – Individual attention in safe schools and smaller classes; is that the way to stop students to drop out?
- Iraq – What are the best exit strategies?
- Speech Privacy – What are the best technologies to safeguard the right of free speech privacy on the internet?
- Minimum Wage – Why should we have a minimum wage or why not?
- Burnout – Should everybody check his or herself of burnout signs? How?
Tip: try to make an inventory of various angles of view and opinions of the group discussion topics.